Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:46:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Thanks for all the work on the MPSAFE network stack project

Dear all,

Thanks again to everyone involved in this multi-year project to make our
network stack fully parallel.  It has been a huge project, and the number of
people who've worked on it is sufficiently long as to be not easily captured.
I would like to acknowledge everyone involved, and apologize for missed names.
The following FreeBSD developers and other individuals have all made
significant contributions to this work, and deserve many thanks:

John Baldwin, John Birrell, Antoine Brodin, Jake Burkholder, Alan Cox, Brooks
Davis, Pawel Dawidek, Matthew Dillon, Tor Egge, Julian Elischer, Ruslan
Ermilov, Bruce Evans, Don Lewis, Brian Feldman, Andrew Gallatin, John-Mark
Gurney, Paul Holes, Peter Holm, Jeffrey Hsu, Kris Kennaway, Maxim Konovalov,
Joseph Koshy, Wojciech Koszek, Roman Kurakin, Max Laier, Nate Lawson, Sam
Leffler, Jonathan Lemon, Warner Losh, Don Lewis, Qing Li, Scott Long, Warner
Losh, Kip Macy, Rick Macklem, Ed Maste, Bosko Milekic, Marcel Moolenaar,
George Neville-Neil, Andre Oppermann, Chuck Paterson, Bill Paul, Alfred
Perlstein, Paolo Pisati, Attilio Rao, Luigi Rizzo, Jeff Roberson, Paul Saab,
Hidetoshi Shimokawa, Mike Silberback, Bruce Simpson, Gleb Smirnoff, Dag-Erling
Smorgrav, Mohan Srinivasan, Randall Stewart, Marius Strobl, Mike Tancsa, Seigo
Tanimura, JINMEI Tatuya, Andrew Thompson, Hajimu UMEMOTO, Stephan Uphoff,
Peter Wemm, David Xu, Jennifer Yang, Maksim Yevmenkin, Pyun YongHyeon, and
Bjoern Zeeb.

The support of many FreeBSD-consuming companies and organizations was
instrumental in making this work happen, especially with regard to sponsoring
development, providing testing resources, hardware, etc:

BSDI, who contributed prototype reference source code for parts of a
finer-grained implementation of the BSD kernel, and specifically, network
stack, as well as their early development support for the SMPng Project as a
whole.

The FreeBSD Foundation, who provided sponsorship to fund portions of the
development, as well as test hardware, as well as sponsoring conferences,
developer summits, and developer travel in order to bring together developers
working on the project.  All FreeBSD Foundation sponsors deserve our thanks
for helping to make this possible -- you can find the names of some of these
sponsors on the FreeBSD Foundation web site, and get your own name added there
by making a donation yourself :-).

In addition, I'd like to thank Sentex Data Communications and the Internet
Software Consortium for their support in providing test environments for this
work.  Isilon Systems also provided sponsorship for the MPSAFE VFS work, which
overlapped with this work in several areas including the NFS server.  Yahoo!
has provided significant testing support, as well as supporting several
developers who worked on this project.  Hardware has been donated by many
companies, but especially by Cisco, iXsystems, HP, FreeBSD Systems, Myricom,
AMD, Neterion, Chelsio, Intel, and IronPort Systems (now also a Cisco
company).

Finally, I want to thank all the members of the FreeBSD community for their
diligence in reporting and tracking bugs, tolerance of occasional minor (and
major) instability, and supportive words for this project over many yeras.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge