Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:27:15 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, chris@sloth.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: floppy

On Wednesday, 16 December 1998 at 15:38:53 -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:14:33 -0500 (EST)
>> From: Chris McCoy <chris@sloth.org>
>
>> i am having trouble mounting the floppy
>
>> i do mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
>
>> and gives me an error "/dev/fd0 on /mnt : Incorrect super block
>
> In order to "mount" the floppy, the floppy needs to have a file system
> built on it.  See the man page for "newfs" for information on doing
> this, but fair warning:  floppies are a little "unusual" (in limited
> capacity and removability), compared to the usual media for UNIX
> filesystems.  Either difference is capable of contributing to
> "interesting" situations.

In particular, you should ask yourself if you even want a file system
on a floppy.  In general, you'd be well advised to avoid floppies:
they're slow, unreliable and expensive per unit storage.  About the
only thing you should use them for is exchange of small quantities of
data, and file systems are unsuited for that.  If you're exchanging
with UNIX systems, use tar on the raw floppy instead.

Greg