Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:24:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cable download varies w/FreeBSD

I am having a little problem with download speeds
in FreeBSD. I currently have cable with COX@HOME.
I am running my machine as a nat server in order
for the computer's on my network to access the
internet.

However, when I download a file through nat,
the speed varies from where I download the file
directly with the cable modem.
When I download through nat, the speed is about
15-30kb/sec. But, when I hook the cable modem
up to one of the windows computers I get about
150-300kb/sec.

At first I thought nat must be slow, but when I
download a file on the nat machine, it is still
around the same speed.

Is there a reason for this? The exact
file I am trying to download is:
http://www.juston.com/vfs/pview.cgi/pretender/path/WinOnCD.rar