Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:05:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Francis Whittington <fewjr@adelphia.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: more info

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Francis Whittington wrote:

>    Sorry if I wasn't clear on my hookup to the internet.
>                                     ____________(((((WLAN
>                                     |                     to daughterXP
> cable                   DI-524
> modem________wireless____________Main
>                            router                          XPbox
>                                    |_____________bsd
>                                                               box

Hi Francis,

I'm cc'ing the list because that's the etiquette here; hope that's OK
with you. The idea is that others might benefit from reading the
discussion.

>     Hope that shows it better.The router connects to the modem. All other
> connections are through router. Daughter's XP box is on the wireless LAN. my
> XP box and BSD box are hardwired to router.

Your diagram got a bit mangled in the email, but I get the idea.

> Yes I did use a crossover cable to bsd box because it said router was
> Auto-MDI/MDI-X. Meaning you can use either straight through or
> crossover. That would be in windows though I guess.

That auto business is a function of the hardware; it shouldn't matter
what OS is running on it. If you get a link light, the wiring is good
(usually). But technically one should use a straight-thru cable from a
computer to a router, so it might be worth trying.

> So I gess I could try changing that. I did a "ping www.goggle.com" ,
> so that is the same as being able to ping router
> (192.168.0.1).....right?

Not really, but if you can get through to the internet then the router
connection is OK.

> I mean its getting to internet , just not seeing network. Let me add
> that i can ping bsd box (192.168.0.102) from main WinXP box, but I
> cannot ping daughter's XP box on the wireless LAN. She is the only one
> thats on the WLAN. Now...I can ping the routerand the bsd box from her
> XP box, but I can't ping the main XP box.

So a "pingability" table might look like this:

>From        BSD   XP   daughter router
  BSD         -    no    no       yes
  XP         yes   -     ?        ?
  daughter   yes   ?     -        yes

> So basically, everyone is on the internet, but the local network at
> home is a mess.

Bizarre. In your other email you said in part

>   ifconfig -a shows that rl0:
> inet 192.168.0.102 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
>   Okay, now to winXP box:  ipconfig /all gives us:
> Ethernet local Area:
>   ip addy..........................192.168.0.100
>   subnet mask...................255.255.255.0
>   default gateway...............192.168.0.1
>   dhcp server.......................192.168.0.1
>   DNS servers...................192.168.0.1
>   and gives the lease dates and all.

...which all looks OK: non-conflicting IPs, same netmask.

So other than the possible cable issue mentioned above, about all I can
think of is that maybe you have an IP address conflict after all. I
notice you gave the BSD box a .102 IP - are you sure the DHCP server
didn't also assign that IP to your daughter's machine? Check the
D-Link's configuration using its web interface, and see what range of
addresses it's set up to hand out. It would be a good idea to give your
BSD box an address which is not in that range.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]