Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 00:02:02 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        dan_mclean@mlc.com.au
Cc:        bsddiy@21cn.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: import OpenBSD ksh

on Jul 31 23:46, i got this from dan_mclean...

> I am of the impression the pdksh, (which I think is the free version of ks)
> is available as a package.

well, official ksh93 is also available from the ports ... sort of, you
may have to download the source(s) yourself first... or you could
compile it yourself if you could follow the convoluted instructions...

> I have however had some trouble with it...  if I set a user to have the
> shell /usr/local/bin/ksh it doesn't
> get set and instead the end up with /bin/sh.  If the shell is /bin/csh and
> I execute /usr/local/bin/ksh it
> works fine.  if the default shell is /usr/local/bin/bash every thing is
> fine.
>
> What am I doing wrong.

how exactly are you doing the setting? are you just excecuting the
shell from command line or changing it via vipw or chsh? i am confused
as your first statement suggests that you may be using vipw/chsh but
your next statement indicates that you are executing the shell from
the cli.