Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:00:34 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        "Adrian H." <adrianh@worldnet.att.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Audio config issues with v3.2-Release

First thing right off the bat, ./MAKEDEV snd0 does NOT make a device
snd0. What it does is is sets pointers for the /devs such as mixer,
audio, midi etc to point to the zeroeth device. Try doing "ls -las
/dev/mixer". Doing ./MAKEDEV snd0 and snd1 will switch the pointer from
mixer0 to mixer1.

To be of any more help to you we would need to see your dmesg, output
of "cat /dev/sndstat" and possibly the relevant section of your kernel
config file. I'm not sure but I'm guessing the lack of output from
"pnpinfo" is indicating this is not a pnp card.

Being a non-pnp card may preclude this site of being any help to you
but it never hurts to look:

http://freebsd.peon.net/freebsd/ext/ext-tutor9.html

You could also try Luigi's Sound Driver (same caveat guys?) or OSS.

Remember, SB16 compat does not make an SB16.

Good luck.

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment,
Adrian H. wrote: > Hi all :) >
> I seem to be having quite a rough time getting my audio card configured.
> It's a SoundBlaster16 compatible board, and I seem to have all of the
> requisite drivers compiled (controller snd0, devices sb0, sbxvi0,
> and sbmidi0). All of these devices are recognized at startup except for
> sbmidi0.  In addition, nothing on my system is recognized by the "pnpinfo"
> command.

-snip-

--
Walter Brameld

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.