Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 12:00:29 -0800
From:      shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Creating FreeBSD driver. How?

I got some National Semi's Hydra isoEthernet cards. Since I got more cards
than normal PCs, I have been thinking about sticking one into my FreeBSD
box. Of course I'd need a driver to get the iso part working. I got the iso
drivers for DOS that came with the card. The normal ethernet part of the
card can be standard NE2000. Of course if you use an NE2000 driver you are
missing out on the iso part. How do I go about creating a driver for
FreeBSD that will give full functionallity? Are there any faqs or other
tips? I searched the FreeBSD web site without avail.

Never coded a driver, don't know anything about it, but would like to see
FreeBSD to be the first real OS that supports isoEthernet. To answer the
inevitable questions: isoEthernet is a regular 10baseT Ethernet plus 96
ISDN B channels plus some control channels, all running on the same
standard UTP wire. The Hydra cards are fully compatible with normal
ethernet hubs, you just wouldn't get the isochronous services.The cards are
not yet available for sale.

TIA,

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.