Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 14:29:42 -0600
From:      Zach Thompson <hideo@lastamericanempire.com>
To:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: disk space problem

* Joshua <Lokken@FreeBSD.ORG> [2002-05-12 14:08]:
> hello
>
> I have fresh install of 4.5R on 3.12 GB HDD, with XFree86-4.2.0
> and lynx installed.  I am trying to build the gnome port.  My /usr
> slice is 1.2 GB.  I keep running out of space on /usr.  What can I
> safely get rid of to make room for this build?   I have no sources
> installed.  It seems that I am not 'using disk space correctly',
> could this be the case?  in other words, maybe my swap space
> isn't being used, etc.  Can anyone help?

I would check your /usr/ports/distfiles directory and remove everything
there. Perhaps `make clean` your ports directory if you haven't been
building ports with `make install clean`. You could also specify
WRKDIRPREFIX in make.conf if you have more room on /tmp, for instance
(though it doesn't sound like it.) You might also try to pkg_add -r
gnome and just install the package(s).

Zach Thompson