Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:13:01 -0600
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        James Munro <jimmn_1999@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache not included

James Munro wrote:
> I'm a bit of a new user to BSD from Windows/Linux.  But I recently went thru the 5.4 version installer and was pleased at how simple it was to install the Apache web server thru the sysinstall menus.  After reinstalling with 6.0 I was surprised to find that apache wasn't an option from this menu.
>
>   Any ideas if this is an omission or intentional?  I would think a webserver would definitely be included in the basic config.

Lots of things that are very, very popular and/or useful are not in
the base system, for lots of good reasons. This is no great hardship
though, since things are usually quite easy to add on later.

In the past you were probably using the installer feature that lets
you add 3rd party ported software packages to the base system
immediately after the base OS is installed. I wasn't aware that the
prompt for package add-ons had been removed from the installer
script for 6.0, but I could be wrong. Perhaps you just missed it?

I've a feeling the Handbook may need some updating with regard to
screen shots but generally what you should have seen is described in
part 2.9.14 of the Handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-post.html

In any case, the cure is simple if you elected to install the
framework for the ports collection. Simply

pkg_add -r apache

If you did not install the ports framework when prompted to do so,
then you will have to configure cvsup or portsnap and sync your
ports tree before adding apache (or, reinstall and install the ports
tree and apache during install).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348