Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:17:12 +0100
From:      Manfred Lotz <manfred.lotz@web.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap / file system encryption

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 06:28, sweetleaf wrote:
> Is it possible to encrypt the swap in freebsd? I am new to freebsd,
> having used openbsd for sometime and was just wondering if this feature
> is available in freebsd.

I  don't know if it is possible to encrypt swap. Even it would be possible you
might experience bad performance.

> I would also like to know if freebsd supports
> encrypted file systems?

There is an encrypted file system implemented as a user-level NFS server. You
find it in /usr/ports/security/cfs/.
There is a FreeBSD Diary article at
http://www.freebsddiary.org/encrypted-fs.php
which shows how to make it work.