Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 19:43:21 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Jeff Blaufuss <Jeff_Blaufuss@ndsu.nodak.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var filesystem filling up when not full

On Sun 2001-05-20 (12:44), Jeff Blaufuss wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE on one of my systems, and I am having
> problems with the /var filesystem filling up.  When I run du says that
> it has 2.5MB of files in it, right now, when I run df, it says that /var
> is 39% full (it is a 50MB filesystem).  What's going on?  It's filled up
> twice before and it takes a reboot to get a more appropriate answer from
> df.  Any help I get will be appreciated.
>
> uname output:
> FreeBSD durandal.localnet 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #1: Fri Mar 2
> 23:15:20 CST 2001

Most likely you tried deleting a large log file, and it's still held
open by a process, most likely syslogd.  killall -HUP syslogd will solve
that.

Less likely, it may be softupdates, in which case 'sync; sync; sync;'
would slowly make it free up disk space.  But I doubt that's the case.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org