Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 2010 07:25:19 -0700
From:      Andy Balholm <andy@balholm.com>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'file' Command Giving False Positives

One thing I noticed about the file command's output might be useful:

For the file in question, it says "MS-DOS executable (built-in)"

For real Windows programs, it gives more information. One that I tried =
said "PE32 executable for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit". I =
remember that some others have said "COFF" instead of "PE32". So maybe =
you could just assume that unless the file command is able to figure out =
what _kind_ of executable the file is, it's a false positive. It depends =
how likely you are to run into a really ancient DOS program (which would =
probably just get the generic description).=