Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:40:44 -0800
From:      Brian <bri@sonicboom.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   6.2 rc file problems

I've started getting emails like this for the last few days after a
system build.

newsyslog: can't open pid file: /var/run/syslog.pid: No such file or directory
newsyslog: log /var/log/maillog.0 not compressed because daemon(s) not notified

In looking at the syslog rc file, I see pidfile="/var/run/syslog.pid"
even though the file in that folder is now /var/run/syslogd.sockets.
The second error I am a little less sure about.  Googling I saw either
inadequate syslogd exec privilege, or a potential relation to the first
problem?