Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:36:39 -0400
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 14125 for review

Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
>
> > Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/p4db/chv.cgi?CH=14125
> > >
> > > Change 14125 by rwatson@rwatson_paprika on 2002/07/11 21:54:24
> > >
> > > 	Back out the lazy instantiate component of @14031, as it broke
> > > 	mount-derived labels on multilabel (read-only or full) file
> > > 	systems, as the EA write could result in a failure of the
> > > 	label refresh, even though a valid label is available.
> > >
> > > 	Approved by:	green
> >
> > Ack!  No, you backed out all of it and re-re-reintroduced the bug where
> > mac_update_vnode_from_externalized _NEVER_ gets called!
>
> We probably need to sit down with the source, because I think this still
> isn't right.  mac_update_vnode_from_externalized() is intended to take a
> fully filled out extmac from the extended attribute, and initialize a
> vnode label from it.  You've changed the code flow so that you call it
> even when extmac doesn't contain any valid data, which is simply
> incorrect.  Probably what we need is a new entry point intended
> specifically to handle policies that manage the loading of the
> externalized form themselves.  Something on the order of:
>
> 	mac_update_vnode(vp);

I suppose adding that hook probably will be a solution, if not an elegant
one.  I'd rather it just not call it for policies that have no data but a
reserved data slow.

> Also, we'll need to figure out how to arrange things so that
> mac_update_vnode_from_mount() does the right thing in this context.  The
> real answer may be to take this opportunity to jump off the 'extmac on
> disk' notion and switch all policies to use EAs directly now that we have
> a working model for how it should happen.
>
> I'm surprised you can even boot this with any of the non-SEBSD policies
> enabled.

I don't run with corrupt labels, though.  And I also wasn't running with "no
labels" since I was lazy-instantiating them.  The logic I had made sense
except for read-only cases.

  <> green@FreeBSD.org  <> bfeldman@tislabs.com      \  The Power to Serve! \