Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:45:38 -0700
From:      erk <tapeworm@insekta.org>
To:        David Gerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get audio CDs working?

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 05:21:49 +1000
David Gerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:

> > Try /dev/acd0c?
>
> Tried that too :-)
>
> But the system can see the drive - mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0a /cdrom
> worked just fine to mount a CD-ROM.
>
> So the question becomes ... how do I get the system to see an audio
> CD?

i'm probably coming into this discussion a little late, so apologies if
this has already been offered up.

what program are you trying to use to play the cd?  if you've been
trying to mount the cd like a normal data disc, it won't work..you just
need to specify the drive under whatever program you're using.  i only
mention this because i had a similar problem once, when i first started
using freebsd.

also, are you trying to listen to the disc as a normal user or as root?
by default, you can't access the drive without being root, so attempts
to do it as a regular user will just hit a brick wall.

- erk