Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:42:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        jmz@FreeBSD.ORG (Jean-Marc Zucconi)
Cc:        ken@plutotech.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [CAM] boot messages, not configured devices

Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote...

>  >> Indeed, my drives had a 'SC_ONE_LU' entry in the old scsiconf.c
>  >> file. However, your patch does not help - I still get the messages.
>
>  > Hmm.  Well, I'm out of ideas to fix that one for now, unless I somehow
>  > botched the quirk entry in the patch....yep, I did.  Sorry about that.  Can
>  > you try the new patch I attached?
>
> Works fine now. Thanks.

Good.  I've commited that patch to the tree.

> The CD-R is now attached, but the message appears a long time after the
> system has booted:
> Sep 22 09:13:52 qix /kernel.cam: changing root device to da0a
> Sep 22 09:14:46 qix /kernel.cam: cd2 at ncr1 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
> Sep 22 09:14:46 qix /kernel.cam: cd2: <PHILIPS CDD2600 1.07> Removable CD-ROM SCSI2 device
> Sep 22 09:14:46 qix /kernel.cam: cd2: 3.300MB/s transfers
> Sep 22 09:14:46 qix /kernel.cam: cd2: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
>
> Unfortunately I can't mount any CD. I get an I/O error:
> (cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): extraneous data discarded.
> (cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @0xf0792600.
> (cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): extraneous data discarded.
> (cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @0xf0792600.
> (cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): extraneous data discarded.
> (cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @0xf0792600.
> (cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): extraneous data discarded.
> (cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @0xf0792600.
> (cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): extraneous data discarded.
> (cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @0xf0792600.
> (cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): cddone: got error 0x5 back

That looks like a problem I fixed in revision 1.3 of scsi_cd.c.  Which
version do you have?  I also committed the attach fix (allowing 0x04 errors
for read capacity), so you'll probably want version 1.4 of scsi_cd.c.

Also, what kind of NCR boards do you have?  And which board is the worm
drive on?

I grabbed an HP 4020i from our CD-burning machine, and hooked it up to a
Diamond Fireport 40 (875-based board) in my test box.  I believe the 4020i
is very similar to the Philips drive you have.  It seems to work okay, with
a few odd notes:

- When you boot without a CD, the drive takes a long time to probe, as you
  reported.  This is because it is *extremely* slow to respond to a read
  capacity when there is no media in the drive.  We issue a read capacity
  command with a timeout of 20 seconds and a retry count of 1.  It seems to
  take almost the full 20 seconds to respond to each read capacity command.
  So it takes 40 seconds or more for the drive probe message to print out
  after bootup.

- I hit the button to make the CD tray come out during the probe process,
  and the read capacity failed with a vendor specific error code --
  0x84,0x00.

- There are a few other odd things that I don't have time to sort out
  tonight.

Anyway, let me know about your configuration and which version of scsi_cd.c
you've got.  I may be able to come up with something somewhat close to what
you have and reproduce your problem.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry