Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 15:53:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com (Darryl Okahata)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

> > >      A potentially good deal right now is the Quantum Lightning 730S
> > > (~699MB formatted, 4500RPM, 11ms avg. seek).  The internal version is
> >
> > The ``Lightning'' series of drives are specifically aimed at the dollar
> > sensitive PC market, have a slow 11ms access time, a slow 4500rpm spindle
> > speed, and are totally missing the ability to do spindle sync operations.
>
>      True.  I guess I didn't make it clear in my message, but I posted
> my message for those people who are more concerned about price than
> performance.  Quantum's WWW page says that the 730S has an 11ms average
> *SEEK* time.  I've always thought that the access time was greater than

My error, thats what I get for rattling specs off after skipping a nights
worth of sleep.  It is SEEK times above and below that I was quoting.

> the seek time (the seek time doesn't include spindle latency); if so,
> the 730S might be closer to a 17-18ms average access time drive (11ms +
> 1/2 the platter rotational time).  Definitely not a fast performer.

Those numbers are correct.

> > The DEC/Quantum DSP3000 series of drives (which the 3053L is a member)
> > are specifically aimed at the high end high performance workstation market
> > (this is the series of drives DEC used in Alpha's).  They have fast 9.5mS
> > access times, fast 5400RPM spindle speeds, and have the spindle sync
    ^^^^^^  SEEK (Rod takes his small rubber mallet and bashes head :-)).

> > function.
>
>      Out of curiousity, does anyone know the approximate street price
> of, say, the 3053L (and 3107L and 3210)?  Where's a good/reliable place
> to get one (good customer service is more important than price)?  I've
> been thinking about getting yet another drive, and I'm currently looking
> at a 2GB Micropolis drive.

I have been unable to obtain the 3107 or 3210 drives for some time, and
my supplier of 3053L drives has informed me that he just bought the last
that he can get.  The drive line is being discontiuned :-(.

My current advertized (not really, more like public posting) price on
the 3053L drive is $220.00, there are approximately 1000 units sitting
at my source, about enough to get by for a month or two and I'll be looking
for new drive models :-(

If you are looking at the MC3221, that is a nice little screamer, or what
I more often sell is a AT32150S Quantum Atlas series drive, another nice
small, reasonably quite for a 7200RPM'er,  _FAST_ disk drive, a bit steep
on the price curve though.

> > The 2MB/sec you are seeing is the limitation of your aha1542CF controller,
> > the lightning series of drives should do closer to 3MB/sec on a proper
> > controller.
>
>      I thought that the 1542CF might be the limiting factor, but I wasn't
> sure.  Thanks for the verification.

Your welcome.  Adaptec white papers claim they got 4MB/sec from an old slow
crusty quantum disk many many years ago, but I have never ever seen an
AHA1542CF break the 2.5MB/sec barrier, except when run at 10Mhz ISA bus
speeds, and few motherboards can run anything above 5.7MHz ISA DMA bus
speeds.