Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:28:03 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Jamie Griffin <griffin8j@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Loading kernel modules on startup

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 07:45:09AM +0100, Jamie Griffin wrote:
> I'm just wondering about the correct way to load kernel modules; namely,=
=20
> specifying them in /boot/loader.conf or /etc/rc.conf. For example;

Both are correct. According to rc.conf(5):

kld_list    (str) A list of kernel modules to load right after the local
            disks are mounted.  Loading modules at this point in the boot
            process is much faster than doing it via /boot/loader.conf
            for those modules not necessary for mounting local disk.

> Then, there is kld_list=3Dkldi915 for the vt console driver, and also=20
> kern.vty=3Dvt and hw.vga.textmode=3D1 in loader.conf for the same module.

The first statement is loading a module. The second and third statements are
kernel environment settings. According to vt(4), they can only be set in
loader.conf.

> Incidentally, the vt driver did not work properly for me when I used the=
=20
> latter in loader.conf and I had to use the kld_list line in rc.conf(5).

The syntax is different. In loader.conf it should be;

    i915kms_load=3D"YES"

While in rc.conf you should use;

    kld_list=3D"i915kms"

> What is the 'right' method for kernel module loading and is it just=20
> easier to compile them into the kernel going forward?

You can compile most modules into a custom kernel if you like. But IMO it's
not really worth the extra effort.

In any case I would advise you to keep a GENERIC kernel and modules around.
If your motherboard dies and you have to replace it you might end up with a
system that doesn't work properly with the custom kernel.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6--