Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:54:38 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        James Greenhalgh <james-list@ntlworld.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARRGH Netscape stinks!

James Greenhalgh <james-list@ntlworld.com> types:
> Personally, I find it FAR less obtrusive when an application stays within the
> bounds I gave it rather than spawning more and more windows.  It's nice to be
> able to visit a site that requests 100% screen width and have the window
> within the opera X window resize only logically (becoming scrollable), and
> it's nice to have popups pop up in a small logical window too, rather than the
> browser arrogantly assuming it's the most important application and
> splattering itself all over my xterms ;-)  (like Netscape and Mozilla)  If I
> put opera in the top left of the screen using say, half the screen width, it's
> nice to know that it will NEVER touch the rest of my desktop, for any reason.

The problem isn't the browser, it's the *sites* arrogantly assuming
they are the most important thing on my desktop, and asking my browser
to open new windows or expand the window to 100% of the
desktop. Disabling JavaScript helps a lot, as well as making the
Netscape both more secure and less prone to crashes.

> Perhaps my original description wasn't clear?  At any rate - it's all personal
> preference, you can *demand* whatever you like - but we're all stuck using
> whatever is closest.

Yup, it's all personal preference. Unfortunately, many web site
designers aren't aware that such things exist and depend on your
browser - and system - being configured just like theirs. Simply
running Unix on a 1600x1200 display is enough to break some sites.

	<mike