Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:04:45 +0100
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing from 3.4rc2 ISO

First let me say I was amazed at the improvements since I last looked at
the alpha port before my multia died.

However  installing from the ISO on the graphics console of an AXPpci33
using an S3 virge card.

I was unable to do a network install with RC2 as I only had an fxp card
and a DE 201 lying around. The fxp seem to have a slight variation of...

which I assume is fixed in CURRENT.

The DE 201 isn't supported in the GENERIC kernel (is this down to space?)

Installing from the CD, doing a 'standard' install allowing the installer
to do the partitioning, but with softupdates on, on /,usr and var.
I choose a 'X-developer' install, all went well except the main screen
complained it was unable to install the Xset distribution. The debug
screen had a cpio error 'premature end of archive'

The Xfree86 config produced from the scripts was a failure as it used the
SVGA driver, which produced a corrupted display, and corrupted the console
once it had exited. The s3v driver worked fine, but also corrupts the
console on exit. This all seems to have been recorded before, can I suggest
something like:

http://moon.hanya-n.org/comp/alpha/hct/graphics.html

to help people figure out if they can get X working on their
hardware.

As I am suggesting it I will volunteer to do it if people think it would
be useful.

--
GeoffB