Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 21:50:33 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Call to TV Users (DGA Test) - for real this time

Fellow TV users,

     For folks running XFree86, please run this test program:

          http://www.ipass.net/~dbhopper/aa8vb/fxtv/dgafbtest.c

in all the color depths that your video card supports.  Particularly on the
XFree86 4.0 prereleases (e.g. 3.9.16).

---- WHY DO IT? ----

     To make sure DGA works well for your video card so that your TV tuner
card will work with it too.

     If we all kick in 10 minutes to run the test and report problems,
we'll increase our chances that the new DGA (or what little of it we use)
will work for all of us.

---- WHAT IT WILL DO ----

     It will query the DGA extension for the base physical memory address
of your frame buffer.  It will then use that information plus a pixel
format conjured from the X server to draw 8 yellow lines on your screen, 2
in each corner (1 horizontal, 1 vertical) radiating from the corners.

     If all is well, that's what you'll see.  Otherwise, you'll probably
see lines sticking up and down down mid-way across your display.  Specify
offsets to dgafbtest using the -f command-line option to to "shift" these
lines into the corners of your screen.  E.g.:

                           dgafbtest -f 4032

---- IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS ----

     If you had to specify -f for any modes, once you get everything lined
up just right for _all_ your modes, submit a detailed bug report to XFree86
with the necessary offsets (and pixel depths, desktop sizes, video card
details, URL to this program, etc.).

Good luck!

Randall