Date:      Mon, 07 Dec 2009 10:21:25 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Alex Huth <a.huth@tmr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update/upgrade question

--------------enig44F92B445A40DB29E84B0E6B

Alex Huth wrote:
> Hello!
>=20
> Maybe i haven't understand the process of updating not really. I though=
t when
> i use Releng_6 in the stable_supfile i get the latest version of 6.x =3D=
 6.4.
> But after the process of make buildworld and so on, it is still 6.3. Do=
 i have
> to use Releng_6_4 even when i do not get the patches then?

RELENG_6 will give you the latest from the 6.x-STABLE development branch.=
 =20
According to:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh?rev=3D1.69.=
2.21;content-type=3Dtext%2Fx-cvsweb-markup;only_with_tag=3DRELENG_6

this will call itself 6.4-STABLE.  It will have all of the same=20
security/errata patches as the 6.4-RELEASE branch plus any development wo=
rk that=20
has been done on 6.x (which will have been pretty minimal lately since th=
e focus
is now on 9-CURRENT / 8-STABLE)  There's not a lot of differences between=
=20
RELENG_6 and RELENG_6_4 nowadays.

The fact that you aren't seeing your version reported as 6.4-STABLE indic=
ates=20
something went wrong with your upgrade process and you haven't actually b=
ooted
your system from an updated kernel.

> Next question is if i don't get updates with freebsd-update when i have=

> a stable version? I have the problem with two machines (6.3 and 6.4). O=
n both
> i do not get the public key because it is not available on the remote s=
erver.
> I have test it with debug.

freebsd-update only covers the RELEASE branches.  That is equivalent to
RELENG_6_3 or RELENG_6_4 in your cases.  However 6.3-RELEASE is due to go=
 out
of support on the 31st January (http://www.freebsd.org/security/security.=
html)
so now would be a good time to think about upgrading.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK