Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:33:27 -0700
From:      Joshua Lokken <inspector.us@omicnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gateway slowing things down

Hello all

i have setup a P133/32M box with FreeBSD 4.5R as a gateway to my
net.  For testing purposes, I have the firewall set to 'open'.  I have a
cable modem and use DHCP.  From my private box, Athlon
1.2/512DDR, I can ping anywhere just fine.  For example, I can ping
cvsup7.freebsd.org (my fastest mirror) with no problem, however, when
I attempt to 'cvsup' the ports,  my throughput speed is reduced
_severely_!  In fact, I get very little activity at all.  I see:

Connected to cvsup7.freebsd.org
	#several seconds later
Updating collection ports-all
	#several minutes later
Editing.....(whatever it says there..)

and that's about it.  If I disconnect from the gateway and reconfigure the
private box directly with DHCP , its faster than hell.

I am wondering if this is the expected result for this type of gateway
setup?  Do I need to use a bigger box for the gateway?  Or is it
possible that I have settings fouled up somewhere?  For info, I have

in the kernel:

options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options IPDIVERT

in /etc/rc.conf:

gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"	#temporarily, of course
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="ed1"	#my outside NIC

I was stoked to get this to work at all, being such a newbie.  I could use
some suggestions.  Thanks in advance, and please cc to me at
inspector.us@omicnet.com, as I am not currently subscribed to the list.

Best Regards,

Joshua Lokken
OMIC Portland Branch