Date:      Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:33:49 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org, freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tplink TL-WR1043ND access point is now ready (was Re: svn commit: r227926 - head/sys/mips/conf)

On 25 November 2011 10:38, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> This is very, very interesting. =A0Does the USB port work with FreeBSD? I=
> there any usable GPIO?

The USB port worked the last time I checked; I'll go and check and
report back if it doesn't work.

There's a lot of GPIO but they're all taken up with LEDs. :)

> Can FreeBSD be used on the cheaper versions, like the TL-WR740N? =A0It's
> throw-away cheap, as in cheap enough to use as a wireless sensor.

If it has an Ar71xx, Ar724x, AR913x SoC in it, then yes. Someone will
either have to buy/ship me one or do the legwork to shoehorn freebsd
onto it though. :)

According to the openwrt site - the previous revisions have an AR724x
in them and an AR9285 wireless CPU. So yes, FreeBSD will boot, but
there's some hacks needed to get the wifi up on it. If someone
buys/ships me one after the new year I'll make it happen.

Note - it has 16mb RAM and 4mb of flash. You're going to have to do
significant legwork to squeeze down FreeBSD to be usable on such a
small platform. I don't have the time for that.

Note - the newer revision of hardware has an AR933x SoC/wifi chipset
in it. There's currently no FreeBSD support for that and there won't
be until I finish of the current 11n stuff (or people jump in and help
me.) If someone wants to give porting the CPU and wireless support
from Linux over then give me a buzz and I'll start you down the right
path.

Adrian