Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:39:04 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Dave" <dave@nexusinternetsolutions.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forward root mail with qmail install on FreeBSD 4.3

Dave <dave@nexusinternetsolutions.net> types:
> normally to redirect root mail to another server account (centralized root mail
> account) would involve simply indicating the target account@domain.name in
> /etc/aliases, newaliases, and voila.  With qmail and associated programs
> installed, newaliases now (understandably) points to /var/qmail/bin/newaliases
> which is nonexistant (on all 5 servers with same setup).
>
> on a server with the qmail solution functioning perfectly, cannot seem to
> redirect root mail (cron errors, daily system reports and so forth) from the
> server to the account on a sister server.  Sendmail is disabled. qmail is the
> only mail transport.  both machines are same netwoek, same domian name (read "me
> contains mydomain.com" on both) but the target machine is the primary mail
> handler for the domain the servers beloong to, and the machine in question hosts
> virtual domains for clients.
>
> /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-root et.al. files containing the emails of the accounts
> to receive mail for root are in place and correct.  The system still generates
> root messages(daily security outputs and such) which are not being forwarded to
> the addresses indicated.  Qmail is functioning correctly for all other mail
> processed through the server, for numerous domains. virtual root addresses are
> not the problem, the actual "server root" address is the problem for system
> generated messages.

That's the correct way to redirect root mail, so it's a config
problem.

> could the problem be that the default domain for all servers is "mydomain.com"
> so that when server2(the server hosting multiple other domains that we are
> trying to send root messages from) sees the
> alias to sysadmin@mydomain.com it tries to send that to qmail on server2 rather
> than server1 (actual mail server for mydomain.com)
>
> (hope we didn't lose anyone there)

You certainly lost me. I think you have an error in your description,
though. Labelling the servers would be better:

source - server generating mail.
dest - server we want to send mail to.

I *think* you're saying that when source sees the alias
"sysadmins@mydomain.com" it tries to send to source rather than to
dest.  That should only happen if mydomain.com is listed as a local
address. The "me" file is also used. If all your servers list
"mydomain.com" for me, that could cause this problem.

> I would expect that qmail would perform a mx lookup to see where mail for
> mydomain.com is to be delivered, and contact the appropriate server, though this
> does not appear to be happening.

qmail does do the mx lookup to see where mail should be delivered -
unless you've given it instructions to do otherwise for the domain in
question.

	<mike