Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 16:23:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl (Frank Volf)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, luigi@iet.unipi.it
Subject:   Re: Need help setting AWE64

> Yesterday I bought myself a SoundBlaster AWE 64. Unfortunately, I can't get
> it to work under FreeBSD 2.2.2 RELEASE (it does however work under M$
> windows 3.1).
>
> I installed Luigi's pnp and snd driver (pnp970924.tgz & snd971007.tgz) and
> recompiled the kernel. The kernel config file contains the following
> configuration lines:

> controller      pnp0
> device          pcm0 at isa ? port 0x220 tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 vector pcmintr
>
> When I boot using this new kernel I get the following boot messages:

> Probing for PnP devices:
> CSN 1 Vendor ID: CTL00c5 [0xc5008c0e] Serial 0x056d76bc
> This is a SB16 PnP, but LDN 0 is disabled

your config is correct and as you see the diagnostic is very clear.
Your bios is not pnp aware hence it does not assign resources to the
card. win95 is pnp aware so this does not matter. freebsd can
initialize the card for you provided you tell it in the follwing way.
- pick some free io, irq and dma addresses (say port 0x220, irq5 drq 1
  and 5 -- or the same as you use in win95
- boot -c
- issue the command

    pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5

then everything should work and your pcm1 will be recognised

	cheers
	luigi