Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 12:19:15 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: switching between connected/disconnected operation?

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 06:40:54PM +0000, Lars Eggert wrote:
> we're trying to come up with a way to configure our laptops so that we
> can easily switch between connected (i.e. we have a net) and
> disconnected (we have no net) states. This does not need to be
> automatic (would be nice though), having users type "net on|off" in a
> shell is perfectly fine.
>
> Looking at /etc, it seems that what we'd like requires non-trivial
> changes to the configuration; the laptops we'd like this for run a
> number of services that would need to be started/stopped: NIS, NFS
> (clients), inetd, sendmail, sshd, lpd, amd, named, etc. Some of these
> should be okay to leave running when disconnecting (e.g. inetd, sshd).
> Others (NIS, NFS, amd) must be stopped/restarted.
>
> Has anyone ever done this? How? Any pointers? This is for 4.0-RELEASE,
> btw.

The university you're sending mail from (isi.edu) has software for this
purpose (well, sort of). ISI's DHCP client (dhclient) is good for when you
connect to a network. Then a small shell script to ifconfig down the
interface will do the "off" part of the job.

If you insist on static routes (and/or static configuration), you can stick
with hardcoding such things in said shell script.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>