Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 23:32:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tester ditty (fwd)

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Steve Hovey wrote:

> Im trying to set up a system of checks that will beep me of something isnt
> working - I use ping to see if machines are up or not, but could use
> something that will check that a port is being answered - for instance,
> something that would connect to a mail or web port and return an
> errorlevel if nothing is answering that port - does anyone know of
> anything like that available anywhere?

Big brother was mentioned.  our network services dept. has something which
does precicely what you say -- it pings everything all the time, and if
something doesn't respond in a while, beeps go off.  You can walk through
the offices and hear the Suns beeping their heads off every so often when
they find something not responding. :)

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo