Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:21:06 +0100
From:      Ross Kendall Axe <ross@axe.homelinux.net>
To:        Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /boot on a separate partition

Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> Ross Kendall Axe wrote:
>
>> I admit, I didn't know the /boot was new in FreeBSD, but then, I am a
>> BSD virgin.  As for reasons to support a /boot partition, how about BIOS
>> bugs/quirks?  There's no shortage of those.
>
> Well, until someone proves otherwise, I don't believe in them anymore.
> I believe they *used* to exist, but that comments about "cannot boot
> past cyl 1024" only exist in documentation because this *used* to be
> true and no-one really knows whether it can safely be deleted, so it's
> left in.  Sure, if you get an old enough PC it could still be true, but
> as you've proved (congrats, by the way, enjoy FreeBSD) the oldest PC you
> considered it worth installing FreeBSD on did not have this problem.

The situation certainly has improved.  _New_ machines generally work
perfectly.  On the other hand, I have a Celeron machine from 1998 here
that hangs at bootup if the BIOS spots a >32GB drive.  Still quite old,
I know, but I view getting the most out of old hardware as one of the
advantages of free OSes.  I don't see the BIOS problem ever fully going
away until the BIOS is as replaceable as the OS.  Still, it shouldn't be
the job of the OS to fix that.

> Your 486 might have this trouble, then then it would probably have
> trouble addressing a disk that big at all.  (Btw, there are minimum
> memory requirements for 5.X, 32Mb?, if you ever do decide to try FreeBSD
> on that 486).

It just happens that this 486 has exactly 32MB of RAM, so.... ;-)

>>> The oldest PC I have that runs FreeBSD (also a Pentium) has a 4 and an
>>> 8Gb disk, and no problem booting off the ends of either.
>>

>> Pffft.  I've got a 486 with a 1/4GB hard disk around here _somewhere_.
>>

> I didn't mean that as a pissing contest :-)  I just meant that there
> must be bucketloads of PCs out there similar to yours, unused, unwanted
> and unloved, that could do what you thought yours couldn't.

I know what you mean.  People will quite happily throw away stuff just
because they got something better.  I don't because I enjoy making good
stuff out of would-be junk :-)

> I've never used it myself, but NetBSD gets mentioned as a suitable OS
> for a router.  I stick with FreeBSD just for compatibility across all my
> machines, but if you're interested in trying stuff out you might want to
> see what it offers.
>
> --Alex

Trying stuff out is what I'm here for.  I'd noticed I'd started talking
about Linux like it was the only OS in the universe, so I thought I'd
broaden my mind a little.

Ross