Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:13:37 -0600
From:      Peter Elsner <peter@sri-software.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird Problem...

--=======CE24875=======

Okay, I have a really weird problem.

Running FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE (just installed it from CD).

It's a basic gateway setup with 2 NIC cards.
I've done this set up a hundred times and have never seen this before.

DSL modem (with static IP address) goes into one NIC card (dc0).
Status is active, and from the gateway box, I can ping out to the world.

Second NIC (dc1) is connected to a hub, with internal IP 192.168.0.1.

DHCP is running and assigning IP addresses to workstations.

Workstation is WinXP Professional, and it is set to obtain IP and DNS
automatically.
This works, I do get an IP address of 192.168.0.240 (the dhcp range is 50
to 240).
I have DNS, if I look at network settings, the DNS IP addresses contained
in the /etc/resolv.conf
and the dhcpd.conf file from the server are there.

 From the workstation (a dos prompt), I can connect to the server at
192.168.0.1 and I can ping the server.
Which means I have a connection.

But I can't ping the outside world or connect anywhere else to the outside
from the workstation.
I have tried both by host name and IP addresses, so DNS issues can be ruled
out.

Also, from the server, I can ping the workstation, (192.168.0.240) and it
responds...

tracert yahoo.com (from dos prompt), goes to the server 192.168.0.1 and
then says it
can not go any further.  Almost like the DSL modem is preventing from
anything going out,
unless it comes directly from the server.

Right now, I can only connect up to 4 workstations to a Netopia 4 port DSL
router.

But I have 2 other workstations to connect, and can't do that until I can
get this issue
resolved.

Has anyone ever seen this problem before?

Thanks.

Peter Elsner

Peter Elsner - President
peter@sri-software.com