Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 21:00:53 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is video overclocking risky?

     I have a new Matrox G200 PCI I picked up, and I notice I pick up about
a 10% XStone increase by using "overclock_mem" in XFree86 3.9.16.

     So in practice, is this risky?  Or do you just risk video corruption?

     From what little I know, I think this means it clocks the RAMDAC
faster, so it (along with the memory) is being pushed.  At high resolutions
and refresh rates when the RAMDAC is already up toward the high end of its
limits, I think this means it'll be running closer to or past the spec freq
limit (maybe pulling more current than it was designed to).  Is this
right in practice?

Randall