Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:38:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Martin Dvorak <mdvorak@ninell.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dynamic intelligent traffic shaping

sounds like you want to do something like:

[internet]---E1--[FreeBSD-A]---ethernet---[FreeBSD-B]---intranet

using CBQ with ALTQ would allow you to allocate each user a minimum
throughput and any excess would be allowed to be used on a
first-come-first-served basis.

this would be on hte incoming direction, queueing packets leaving
FreeBSD-A.
Outgoing queueing would be done on FreeBSD-B.

I haven't played with Dummynet.