Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 11:58:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chet Hosey <chosey@nidhog.com>
To:        <bv@wjv.com>
Cc:        Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)

It seems that anymore, common network tools are seen as malware. Life
would be much simpler in a world where you could use finger, VRFY worked,
nmap could be legitimately used to determine what a host supported, and
sheep had nothing to worry about.

It's not idiots, or security holes, or solar radiation that plagues the
'Net. There is simply a lack of courtesy towards others. How many kiddies
have ever seriously administered a machine?

Everybody should start with a *nix running on a publicly accessable box.
(Note: Linux doesn't count here, except possibly really old versions of
Slackware. Damned RH makes things too easy. No X either - CLI, people!)

Chet Hosey
<chosey@nidhog.com>