Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:25:04 +0200
From:      Jonathan McKeown <jonathan@hst.org.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mirroring: gvinum or gmirror?

I'm setting up a remote server with two identical hard drives, running
FreeBSD-6.1. I want to set the drives up as a mirror for data redundancy. I
also want to be able to break the mirror when I need to update the OS or
installed software, so that if anything goes wrong with the update on one
drive I can boot back to the other one, or if all is well, re-establish the
mirror and synchronise to the updated system. I have serial console access
including BIOS console redirection.

Based on web and Usenet/mailing list searches, gmirror looks more
straightforward for this simple case, gvinum more flexible but poorly
documented, and the most recent comments I can find (still all 6+ months ago)
seem to suggest that gvinum hasn't completely stabilised for production yet.

Is this a fair assessment? Are there any factors I've missed? Which solution
is likely to suit the situation better?

Jonathan