Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:53:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Hauke Fath <hf@Melog.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new quirk entry for my seagate tape-- this time a STT20000N

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Hauke Fath wrote:

> At 11:03 04.10.99 -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > >
> > > I never found a definite reference (can anybody help me out there?) but
> > > folklore seems to have it that marking EOD with *one* filemark is a QIC
> > > property -- and it should probably be tagged as such.
> >
> >It is, but it's impossible to tell a priori with some drives.
> >
> >It is my personal opinion that two filemarks at EOD should only be used
> >for devices that cannot know physical EOT. Only 1/2" reel tapes come to
> >mind on that one.
>
> So 2FM should be the exception and not the default (as it is in NetBSD)?

Yes, that's what made happen in NetBSD.

> Sounds reasonable.

The reason it hasn't been done until now is that there's a lot of tape
utilities (tcopy amongst them) that currently depend on this behaviour.

It is conceivable when 4.0 is released it might be the time to break
things, but not in any of the 3.X releases.

-matt