Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 08:46:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Found it --- 'ata' driver screwing up the machine (was Re: New kernel no longer boots on one of my machines... ata, other proble

It seems Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :    From what I can tell so far, something during the kernel boot is
> :    disabling the timer interrupt.  The ATA probe does a tsleep() which
> :    never times out.  Output is queued to the console during the boot
> :    sequence which is never printed (until I CTL-ALT-ESC)...
> :
> :    has someone messed with spl*()'s anywhere recently?
>
>     Another datapoint:  When I DDB the machine and 'print *ticks',
>     it comes up 0, and when I panic it it says "uptime 0s".
>
>     If I remove the 'ata' drivers I get the bootconf screen
>     since there is no root - but *ticks is incrementing!
>
>     If I add 'ata' back in, buckus (DDB> print *ticks yields 0, machine
>     is screwed up).
>
>     When I remove 'ata' and enable the 'wd' driver, everything works
>     normally.  The machine boots up fine.

Thats to be expected, the wd driver doesn't use config_intrhook_establish()
to hook in the probes when interrupts should be running.
From your previous mail it looked like you had both ATA & SCSI in there,
then tried without SCSI and it kindof worked. The error 6 problem has
been up here before, but I dont remember the solution off hand, but
you should use /dev/ad* entries in you fstab, and have MAKEDEV'd
them fairly resently, new bootblocks and loader are also a must.
My best guess is that config_intrhook_establish() screws up something
when more than one consumer uses it to hook into the boot process...

-Søren