Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:23:04 -0500
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        Roman Divacky <rdivacky@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [RFC]: c99 compiled world

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des@des.no> writes:
> > Roman Divacky <rdivacky@freebsd.org> writes:
> > > I tried to compile world in C99 (in fact gnu99) gcc mode. It compiles
> > > correctly with two trivial exceptions [...]
> > No, it won't.  You must have made a mistake.  C99 / GNU99 mode disables
> > pretty much everything except the standard C library functions [...]
>
> (or at least, it should; if it doesn't, <sys/cdefs.h> should be fixed)

What you just said applies to -std=c99, not -std=gnu99. The latter
includes all the extensions, so it should work.

The default is -std=gnu89, which as far as I know is almost
identical to -std=gnu99. Actually, the only difference I'm aware
of is that in more recent gcc releases, GNU99 mode uses the C99
rules for inline functions. Whether world compiles with newer (GPL3)
versions of gcc might be a worthwhile consideration in changing
the default here.