Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 20:22:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <tim@x22>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>, FreeBSD Chat List <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

[Cc: trimmed]

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> But as a group of people who are trying to be professional OS
> "vendors", that is simply not our determination to make.  Like family,
> one does not choose one's customers (as much as one would often like
> to, in both cases).

Hah.  As a professional OS vendor, would it not make more sense to
pursue the customers who bring the highest returns on the investment
spent to attract them?

> Now the techno-elitist, of which there are many in the UNIX world,
> will always look at this classic problem and say "change the user",
> whereas the product-realist says "accomodate the user, if possible,
> since negative user feedback actually indicates _our_ failure."

Once again, yes, it indicates _our_ failure to change the user!

I'm not going to argue against the idea that users of all sorts
should be accomodated (in part because I agree with the idea :), but
it doesn't hurt to point out that one can be too narrow-minded with
the "accomodate the user" mindset, just as one can be too
narrow-minded with the "change the user" mindset.

> I am a realist, and I say that if people aren't reading the docs then
> we simply have to make the installation process less reliant on such
> doc-reading prerequisites.  The old adage about leading a horse to

10% do read, remember?  The question is the investment spent on this
10% is well-spent.

[Again, I see you hauling-out your techno-elitist argument, with
comparisons to family members.  However, as realists, we can surely
see that sometimes (I am _not_ suggesting "always"!) one _must_
concentrate on satisfying the group of higher-paying customers].

> water comes to mind here, and even the techno-elitist will agree that
> in designing any complex system, a good engineer attempts to avoid
> putting undue strain on the weaker areas of it or what's being built
> will probably only fall down.  This goes for everything from bridges
> to large software systems, and in the latter case it's typically the
> user which is the weakest component of all.

Are you trying to say that all users are equally important to
FreeBSD?  I don't think that this does justice to your efforts, or
the efforts of other major FreeBSD contributors.