Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:51:03 +0100
From:      Alex Huth <ahuth@pinguintown.de>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Partition-Layout best practice

Hi guys!

I=B4m know a something about Linux (RedHat, SuSE and Gentoo). I=B4d like to=
=20
install FreeBSD on following Hardware:

Toshiba Satellite 3000-100
14 GB HD

=46ollowing Applications:

KDE (all except devel-stuff & games)
Ports over cvsup
CrossoverOffice
VMWare

My first try was :

/		150 MB
swap	256 MB
/tmp		100 MB
/var		200 MB
/usr		2,5 GB
/home	1 GB
/data	the rest

After my first cvsup, i did a "make all install in XFree86-4. During this t=
he=20
"/usr" is running out of space. I will use for the partitions only the=20
maximum needed, because I need as much as possible space for vmware,=20
data,backup etc.
So, what is a good layout for the above requirements?

Thanks for your advice

Alex Huth