Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:31:29 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Cristiano Deana <cristiano.deana@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 7.2-p7 -> 8-STABLE mergemaster core dump

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 03:25:14PM +0100, Cristiano Deana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anyone else tried to update (todas's cvsup) 7.3-p7 to 8-STABLE?
>
> make update
> make buildworld && make kernel && make installworld

I'm not familiar with upgrading a working 7.x to 8.x box, so I can't
tell you for certain if that's what caused your problem.

But the above make commands *are not* the proper procedure to follow.
/usr/src/Makefile contains the procedure:

#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
#       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `make delete-old'
#  9.  `mergemaster'                         (you may wish to use -U or -ai).
# 10.  `reboot'
# 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)

Chances are the failure you were seeing is/was induced by you doing
things in the wrong order.  If your system doesn't have remote serial
console (for the single user steps), then you get to do it from the VGA
console.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |