Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:47:53 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support <software@kew.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: after the release ...

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 08:51:31AM -0500, Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support wrote:
> Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > [Drew Derbyshire]
> > > I would suggest after the release a point release method be
> > > developed to allow (perhaps as a port type package?)  The ability to
> > > download/apply critical fixes quickly.
> > >
> > > Simply put, having to track the entire -stable source to get
> > > bugfixes on the CD-ROM is not desirable.
> >
> > Good suggestion!  Go ahead and do it; I promise to post comments about
> > your design when you post it, and I'm sure Jordan and Mike will, too.
>

> Drop dead.  You can say it's boring to do and that Real Programmers
> (TM) don't need it, go ahead, but I don't need the sarcasm.

I consider it a great suggestion.  If I had considered it to suck, I'd
probably have just ignored your posting, and not gone to effort of
thinking about and menitoning what would have to be done to implement
it.

I have been thinking of implementing this for a long time (over a
year), but just haven't found time for it.  I hoped I could prod you
into doing some of it, with whatever help I (and Jordan and Mike, who
are into these issues) can give.

> I neither a CVS expert nor directing FreeBSD release policy.  I'm
> only pointing out a failure in the FreeBSD release cycle, as Jordan
> pointed out HP and Sun have bugs, but THEY have a packaged patch
> process.  FreeBSD does not, it only has "upgrade to the next
> release" or hand patch any fixes into the source and rebuild.
> Adding such a patch function seems to be an issue of packaging a
> limited number of critical changes (in 2.2.5 for example, it would
> have been the lpd and the security fixes) into a package.  Under
> System V, it would be pkgadd.  Under FreeBSD the best method seems
> to be ports.

It can probably be done through a port, but I wouldn't feel too good
about it.  I think the requirements I stated would have to be handled;
these aren't well enough handled in ports at the moment.  Not for that
kind of upgrade, anyway.

> You can disagree with me, but I don't need to be ridiculed for
> making a valid suggestion.

You're misunderstanding me.  Sorry for not being clear enough.

Eivind.