Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 19:59:38 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5-stable is now in BETA test.

At 7:23 PM -0600 3/9/98, Matt Behrens wrote:
>On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Chad R. Larson wrote:
>
>> Ummm...  I probably won't be the only one who asks, "Should that subject
>> line reference 2.2.6?
>
>It's 2.2.5-STABLE until 3.0 moves into STABLE.  2.2.6-RELEASE, sure!
>2.2.6-BETA, maybe.  But not 2.2.6-STABLE. (:

The status of the 2.2 branch is not a function of the status of the 3.0 branch.
2.1 is still a "STABLE" branch.

Frankly, I wish that people would think of "DEVELOPMENT", "ALPHA", "BETA",
"STABLE", etc.
as descriptions of the state of a development tree rather than the name of it.

Once a branch reaches "stability", is SHOULD remain that way. Unfortunately,
some enhancements/corrections have the undesirable effect of temporarily
destablizing
things. However, that is a risk that you take in grabbing the head of the
branch
rather than some point that has received enough testing to validate its
stability.

In particular, we are now in a beta test phase anticipating the 2.2.6 release.

mkdir FreeBSD ; cd FreeBSD
mkdir FreeBSD-2.1
   populate it
mkdir FreeBSD-2.2