Date:      Wed, 7 May 2003 10:54:10 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        "Michael K. Smith" <mksmith@noanet.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Where is tcpd?

In the last episode (May 07), Michael K. Smith said:
> Then I must have a misconfiguration somewhere.  Here's what my
> inetd.conf entry looks like:
>
> ssh  stream  tcp  nowait  root /usr/sbin/sshd  sshd -I
>
> And here is my inetd process:
>
> root    16368  0.0  0.3  1076  812  ??  Is    7:50AM   0:00.01 /usr/sbin/inetd -wW
>
> And my /etc/hosts.allow entry:
>
> sshd : .noanet.net
>
> But, when I run tcpdchk, I get:
>
> warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 23: sshd: service possibly not wrapped

Tcpdchk doesn't know if you're running inetd with the -w flag, so it
says 'possibly not wrapped'.  Since you are running with -w, you can
ignore it.

Also, I don't think sshd takes a -I argument.  Why not just run it on
startup (sshd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf)?  sshd has tcp-wrapper
support builtin too, so you shouldn't need to launch a new copy from
inetd on every connect.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com