Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:36:38 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, d@delphij.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.1 and BIND exploit

At 09:28 PM 7/19/2008, Subhro wrote:

>You need to understand the release engineering process of FreeeBSD.

I've been watching it (and testing release candidates) since 2.x, so
I think I may possibly have some understanding of it by now. ;-)

>The release edition is essential created from the stabe edition. 7.1R
>would not be something new which is *not* present on 7-STABLE today.

Mostly true. But the new release would undergo extensive testing, and
changes which were "not ready for prime time" would be rolled back or
made solid. I've had enough trouble with some recent snapshots of
-STABLE that I'd rather install a release that's been thoroughly
tested... preferably with the latest ports. That's why I'm asking
about the likely actual release date of 7.1.

--Brett