Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:49:15 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Jason Bigue <jason@candescent.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JBoss on FreeBSD (was "Re: Java for FreeBSD")

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 12:34:06PM -0500, Jason Bigue wrote:
> > With HotSpot turned on or off ?
>
> Off.

Excellent.

> > What kind of things does it do ?
>
> It's a web-based reporting system done w/ servlets.  Does a lot of DB
> communication, calculates a variety of stats; loads our machines quite a it.
>
> We've been using FreeBSD for the front end & linux for the back-end (java)
> but with what we're seeing now we'll be *upgrading* our machines to FreeBSD
> asap.
>
> > Just wait until HotSpot and NIO (in 1.4) is fully working..
> Keep up the good work!

I've narrowed all the large HotSpot changes into one big ~3k line file,
did an initial merge of solaris stuff and have a passing understanding
of how that compiler does high speed mutexes outside of the pthreads
system. I believe I have enough understanding of the code to actually
do core work on it and I believe that I should have something ready for
testing in about 4 weeks from this point.

It's more unspeakably evil object oriented virtual machine hackery, kind
of like another JVM that needs to be ported over with its own runtime
system (threading, type, bytecode, etc...). I can't even begin to explain
what I have to put up with just to get something simple conceptualized
to a clear degree in some fashion...

bill