Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 07:32:56 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/skel dot.cshrc dot.login src/etc/rootdot.cshrc dot.login

[Catching up on some old mail]

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 06:56:36PM +1000, Doug Barton wrote:
> PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:$HOME/bin

Two comments:
a) The sbin directories are for sysadmin functions and probably shouldn't
   be in users' $PATH.
b) My preference is roughly the opposite order - along the lines of
	PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
   My rationale (originating with commercial Unices) is that the
   /usr/local tree is a way for the sysadmin to replace standard
   commands with local variants.  Likewise, one's personal bin
   directory is a way of overriding system-wide commands.

> 	I added 'set -o emacs' to dot.shrc, it makes life much easier,

I agree, but this would seem to be a religious issue: Equally good
cases could presumably be made for 'set -o vi' - particularly since
the default editor is set to vi.

Peter