Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:32:16 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed0: device timeout when no interrupt

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

So the card would reset itself to irq 3 (or more likely irq 0 or some
impossible value) each power cycle?

And that the OS/BIOS is supposed to reconfigure it?

Actually, if the card would reset itself to irq 3, I would have made it
work, since I tried all freakin irqs from 3 to 15. :)

> The card obviously is pure plug and
> play and when Windows PnP manager loads it reprograms the IRQ to whatever=
 is
> open.=20

Actually, this is something kinda weird. The card is not plug and play,
from what I can tell. At least, windows doesn't detect is as PnP, and
pnpinfo doesn't show up anything at all...

Also, I had trouble configuring the card in windows too. I had to set it
manually to some free irq around (using windows config tools) and reboot
*2 times* in order to have it work at all. And whene I changed it,
windows told me it had to *shutdown* (not reboot) for me to change the
*jumpers* (which are nonexistent) of the card to follow the changes.

Also, there's a "detected setting" in windows that tells me that only
the *port* is detected setting. The irq seems to be "guessed".

> But for whatever reason your system's BIOS is not programming the card.

Ok, that's valuable information.=20

> Some BIOS's have a setting: PnP OS NO/YES you should set yours to NO and =
see
> what happens.=20

I think I'm already there. PnP OS set to no here.

> Also, get that utility I was mentioning and run it under DOS and see what=
 it says.

Where?

A.

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk