Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 19:22:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Countering stack overflow

What I have noticed running test programs is that the top of the stack
always appears to be at or near 0xffffffff.  I am interested in generating
an experimental kernel patch (for 2.1.0-R) which would randomly change the
top stack address over a range of 0x4fffffff 0xffffffff when a a new
process (not a fork) is started.

My guess is that this will practically shut down any stack overflow
attacks which gain root privilege.  They may still cause crashes or
process termination, though.

Please advise if there is a conceptual error in what I want to do.  I have
to stop at the library and check out a copy of Leffler et al to get an
overview, but I seem to remember that I might have to do something with
the exec() call.  Does an executable a.out format specify how the stack
pointer is initialized, or does the OS do this?

Charles Mott