Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 17:53:53 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tco_forward recursing

If you get this message once, your timecounter warranty expired 10
msec ago, and the system may be totally hosed in more than a few
interesting ways.

Tco_forward() should NEVER recurse like that.  I have no explanation
as to how this may or can happen.  Stick a call to the debugger
there and go look at how it happens.

If the recursion is through hardclock() some splmumble() must be
missing somewhere, if it comes through settime() somebody who
shouldn't are messing with the system time do that at a very
inopportune time.

Sorry for my lack of detailed diagnosis...

Poul-Henning

In message <XFMail.981109123844.shimon@simon-shapiro.org>, Simon Shapiro writes
:

>Doug Rabson, On 08-Nov-98 you wrote:
>>  On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>>
>> > What is this error message and why does it happen?
>>
>>  I think its something to do with the timecounter code.  You could try
>>  asking phk about it.  What is happening to the machine when you get the
>>  message?
>
>I have some patches from Poul, so I will cc him on this reply, just in
>case.  the machine rapidly and endlessly loops on this message and appears
>dead otherwise (totally stops responding), but that can be due to
>overloading the serial console.  It seems like NFS triggers it more than
>anything else.  I copied /usr/src and /usr/ports fomr an nfs mount to a
>local disk with no ill effects.  IT does this reliably if you try to
>compile across NFS.
>
>Simon

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal