Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 14:45:12 -0500
From:      Flattie McGee <flattie@globelinks.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   .: Out of file descriptors = What is this? How to fix?

Hey, I'm getting this error message when I boot up my box.

The OS is FreeBSD 3.3 Release.  I'd give you more information, but I
can't get past the boot screen so I can't log in to capture anything.
Booting stops at the HD mounting/checking during the boot sequence and
gives me the error:

.: out of file descriptors

It then asks me to enter the default location of the shell.. /bin/sh,
bringing me to the console?  But once there.. I cannot do anything other
than navigate around the hd (cd blah blah).. editing of files isn't
possible, as nothing seems to work (no vi, ee, or pico)..

How can I resolve this situation?

*sigh*

Help.. Help!  *gives you a handful of hair*